From:
Alfonso Pina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2001 18:07:38 -0400
Hello, Michael.

By the time Iīm talking about, some twenty years ago (gasp, I'm revealing
my age...) ADN helicase must be just discovered, so there was no problem
about name (or maybe it was just the commercial name), I think by now
probably this has been changed by the International Comission.

The work was published in the Journal of Applied and Environmental
Microbiology, but sincerely I can't give you the full reference without
turning upside down some old chests (However, I'll do if you are very
interested)

Given that my main interest at that time was yeasts molecular biology
(maybe I was lucky, but I'm happier now, among shells ;-)), the "helicase"
was just a tool for me, so I don't pay much attention to it. I remember it
was labelled as "suc digestif", so you are probably right.

A somewhat interesting question is that as you know, yeasts are fungus, so
its cellular walls are not made from cellulose but from something more
likely quitin (quitine?, chitine?, sorry, I canīt remember now the English
word) just like insects. So, if snails have an specific enzyme just to
digest that substance, it means that yeasts (and other fungus) represents a
sustantial part of their diet, and they can't be called properly
vegetarians. Isn't it?

Best regards,

Alfonso Pina
Malaga