From:
Franck Frydman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 01:03:23 +0200
Dear Mr Renka , since the width of the ribs of a Harpa specimen can vary a
lot  this feature cannot be  a criterion  to tell a Harpa species from
another  .  H. major 's distribution  range includes that of H. davidis (
not "davidus " ) ; moreover H. major and H. davidis are sympatric inside the
distribution range of  H. davidis , here are arguments in favor of their
separation at the specific level .However only an close anatomical study of
preserved animals could confirm that  since the protoconchs of  H. major and
H. davidis are almost identical . So  the
only feature which  readily distinguishes them is the number of ventral
blotches : H.
davidis always has three separate blotches  when H. major can have one or
two .  In my collection I have  a H. major from Vanuatu and a H. davidis
from the Gulf of Bengal which are identical except for the number of ventral
blotches ...According to me for the time being  the best solution is to give
the name H. davidis to the Harpa specimens with three ventral blotches from
the Gulf of Bengal till we know more about their exact status . Franck
Frydman