From:
Marlo Krisberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 19:29:30 -0700
You are correct, it most certainly can (and does).  However, this happens when
the decaying animal rests upon the exterior of the shell.  This can happen
"out-of-the-water," or when you leave a shell soaking in still water in a
container at home, but is extremely unlikely in a natural, watery habitat.  First
of all the predators and scavengers will have the shell cleaned out long before
decay begins.  Next, the natural action of the water moving over the shell, or
the shell rolling around the bottom, flushes and washes it clean or the acids of
decay away if the scavengers haven't done their job.

Marlo