From:
Andrew Dickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:15:59 -0400
> Hi, Everyone!
>
> I have a Scaphella which I had assumed was a junonia, from an
> old collection.   However, it is much more inflated than the usual
> junonia, and the spots are farther apart and not as regular in their
> spacing than the typical junonia.   Unfortunately,
> I have no locality data.    Is this just an individual variation of
> junonia, or do I have a subspecies or a separate species?   I am
> unable to scn it, but could ask our club's webmaster to put
> a scan of it on our clun site.
>
> Thanks,
> Linda

Hi Linda,

It could be an unusual variation of a junonia.  Both Scaphella junonia
and Scaphella dohrni seem to be fairly variable.  Your description makes
me think of Scaphella robusta.  Look on Richard Goldberg's website at
http://www.worldwideconchology.com.  Then look for the section which says
Marine Shell Images and then look for Volutidae.  You will see some of my
shells there.  I am looking forward to seeing the photo.

I remember talking to you at the C.O.A. bourse.  I was working for Donald
Dan at the time.

Andrew