Date:
Sun, 10 May 1998 22:55:07 -0400
Laura Pegler wrote:

> Hello Conch-L Members
> I am a fairly new enjoyer of shells.  I went to the Astronaut Trail Shell
> Show two years ago and was agog over all the beautiful shells I'd never
> had any idea existed. I joined the club, and now am having a very hard
> time remembering any latin names for shells.  I'm trying, though. I've
> recently been able to collect a few live specimens in the South East
> Florida area.  I've found many olives and fighting conchs (forgive the
> common names). On a recent trip I even found a hairy triton and a
> hawkswing conch.
> I'm looking forward to learning about shells from around the world, their
> habitats and their care.  I'm also looking forward to corresponding with
> anyone on Conch-L as I've enjoyed all the people  I've met connected with
> shelling.
> Happy Trails,
> Laura

> Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Welcome to you Laura from Mike and Marcie Huggins who live near Miami
and have been exploring alot from the sage advice of some onderful
shellers we have me in the last year. Don't be dismayed but some of the
heated moments, there is a lot of good people of this list that are
wonderful.  You may get razzed about common names as I do but thats ok,
I look my specimens up only when I need to lable them but otherwise I
love my Volutes, fighting conchs etc, as they are the jewels of the
sea.  I'm sure diamonds, rubys and garnets have geologic names and such
but they are jewels to me.  Hummingbirds, eagles and robins also but
they just as beautiful with their common names.  Enjoy and keep in
touch.