From:
Paul Monfils <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 00:15:04 -0500
Hi Kate,

Welcome aboard!  I'm afraid your descriptions are not really adequate to
narrow down the identification of your shells to a species, or even to a family.

When I read "little, white funnel-shaped, conical", the keyhole limpets
(family Fissurellidae) come to mind.  However, none of the keyhole
limpets living in that area are anywhere near 2 inches across.  When I
read "funnel-shaped, conical, 1-2 inches across", I think of the common
European limpet, Patella vulgata.  But this is not usually white.

"orange-pink and delicate, like lacquered fingernails" sounds like
tellins (family Tellinidae) a family of thin, rather flat, often shiny
little clams, and I suspect that may be right.  However, the description
could also fit jingle shells (family Anomiidae), or even small pectens
(scallops) (family Pectinidae).

Sorry I can't offer more, but going any further than this would require
a picture - at least a rough sketch if not a photo.

Incidentally, there are probably close to a hundred species of shells
that might be found on the beach there, but many of them are uncommon
(apparently the ones you are looking for are quite abundant), and most
could not possibly fit your descriptions.  That's what I based my
guesses on - but they are only guesses.

Regards,
Paul M.