From:
Scott Schubbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 18:55:10 EST
I live just minutes from where the proposed desalination plant will be built.
There is a commitee called SOBAC (save our bays and canals) that is trying
it's darndest to get this plan abolished, but so far it is not looking too
good for them. The plant plans on discharging super-saline water into Tampa
Bay, and it seems so counterproductive to everything that has been done so
far to renourish the bay. Tampa Bay is an estuary that acts as a nursery for
so many fish and mollusk species, and they depend on the mix of fresh and
salt water. How will this be affected by super-saline water?
Tampa Bay was once so pristine, that there once was a commercial scallop
fishery here. Then it became so polluted, and it took years of work to bring
it to what it is now. I have lived by the bay for 11 years, and I've seen a
lot of improvement since then.
Florida is in real demand of fresh water, but I don't believe it should be at
the bay's expense. If they want to put a de-sal plant here, at least pipe the
super saline waste far out into the gulf, where it won't hurt an estuary that
has fought so hard to come back as Tampa Bay.

Scott
Florida