From:
Livett Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 01:02:40 +1100
There is a lot of information about Queen Conch at this site:
http://www.hboi.edu/news/features/queenconch.html

The queen conch, an icon of Florida Keys and the Caribbean, has delighted
shell seekers and food connoisseurs with its large ornate pink shell and
delicate flavor. The queen conch is a $60 million fisheries industry;
however, its stocks have declined, and conch is now listed as a commercially
endangered species. Aquaculture techniques have been developed to grow conch
for food and restocking over-fished habitats. Dr. Davis-Hodgkins will take
the audience on a journey through the life cycle of the conch, featuring a
5-minute video with microscopic and close-up images of conch that have never
been seen before.

 Megan Davis-Hodgkins, Ph.D. - [log in to unmask]

Dr. Megan Davis-Hodgkins has been actively working in the field of
aquaculture for the past 20 years. She is the Deputy Director Of Aquaculture
Division, the Director of the Department of Aquaculture Education and
Program Manager for ACTED (Aquaculture Center for Training, Education and
Demonstration). Dr. Davis-Hodgkins was the co-founder of a commercial
molluscan aquaculture operation located in the Turks and Caicos Islands,
B.W.I. Megan was instrumental in developing and establishing commercial
applications for culturing queen conch, Strombus gigas, from the egg stage
to juvenile stage. Her studies focused on the early life history of conch,
such as larval nutrition, larval dispersal and recruitment, metamorphosis,
predator-prey interactions and stock enhancement. Her conch research topics
at HBOI include captive breeding, larval rearing and juvenile growout.