Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:29:41 -0500
GenBank listings seem prone to typos.  Several new sequences are out, including the following taxa about which I have questions:
Betharca sp.: any plausible option besides an error for Bentharca?  The locality suggests deep water.

In Latin, is zebra a noun or otherwise invariant? Sherborn lists zebrum and zebrus with sic.

Lithophaga cruta: Presumably a typo for curta.  Several references cite curta (Lischke, 1874), but Kleeman 1990 cited it as Lischke, 1874 non Stoliczka, 1871.  Is curta of the modern Japanese fauna a junior homonym (possibly secondary?)

Spondylus varius or varians Sowerby I, 1827 or 1829: 2 votes for varius, 3 for varians, one for 1827, three for 1829, Sherborn lists neither

Isognomon acutirostris author, date? Japan, living

Corbicula papyracea author, date?

Cardiolucina semperiana (Issel, 1871 or 1869)?

Nucula sulcata author, date (I have found about four primary homonyms, but do not know if there is a prior homonym)

Parvicardium exiguum author, date?

Sinezona confusa author, date?

Varicorbula dissimilis author, date?

Venerupis rhomboideus author, date? is this an error for V. rhomboides (Pennant, 1777)?

Thanks again!

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    46860 Hilton Dr #1113
    Lexington Park MD 20653 USA

That is Uncle Joe, taken in the masonic regalia of a Grand Exalted Periwinkle of the Mystic Order of Whelks-P.G. Wodehouse, Romance at Droigate Spa