From:
"George P. Holm" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:28:22 -0800
  I posed the question of which hermit crabs might be large enough to
inhabit conch shells to Dr. Patsy McLaughlin. Dr. McLaughlin is one of the
top experts in the world on hermit crabs and here is what she replied to me
-
    > Petrochirus diogenes (Linnaeus, 1758) I know inhabits conch shells in
south Flroida and the Caribbean.  If my memory serves me correctly, a 10 or
so pound specimen was collected off Florida a number of years agao.  And
no, in water, the shell is not too heavy for a hermit it carry.  There is a
eastern Pacific species of the genus, Petrochirus californiensis Bouvier,
but I don't know what shells it most commonly utilizes. Tisea grandis
Forest & Morgan, 1991, from the IndoPacific is to big for any shell, conch
or otherwise.<

George Holm