Date:
Sun, 24 May 1998 06:20:27 -0400
At 09:33 AM 5/24/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Just to put all Europeans on the right track : can a nice American lady
>or man explain us what Memorial Day is ? I don't think it is to remember
>the second anniversary of Conch-L, or is it ? :-)
>
>Thanks in advance for an nice American history lesson
>
>Jan Haspeslagh

History of Memorial Day:

1. Americans observe Memorial Day (Decoration Day) for the first time May
30, 1868. The holiday commemorates the Union dead of the Civil War.

2. May 30, observed in the United States in commemoration of those members
of the armed forces killed in war. It is officially observed on the last
Monday in May. Also called Decoration Day.

3.  Memorial Day: U.S. holiday in May. Formerly known as Decoration Day, it
was instituted (1868) to honor the Civil War dead, but it now commemorates
all war dead.

4.  Memorial Day 1998: A day observing and honoring not just war dead, but
those family members or friends who may have passed away. We visit the
cemetary and freshen the monuments and plots with flowers.

What really happens: After the cemetary visit, we have family over for
visits and fun. We bar-b-que hamburgers and hot dogs; play outdoor games
like horseshoe toss/frisbee/volleyball etc. This weekend is the unofficial
'kickoff' for the summer season, both in the tourist business and in the
minds and hearts of Americans. Summer's here!