From:
G Thomas Watters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 07:27:42 -0400
Art:

The war is over. They won.

Actually, the zebra mussel population was way down (in numbers) in the Ohio
River last year according to the Ohio River Islands National Refuge folks,
who have copious data on the native and zebra mussels in the Ohio. Maybe
your pigs "deposited" something in the river at Cincinnati...

We did a study several years ago in the western basin of Lake Erie looking
at old mussel bed sites, mostly around the Bass Islands and off
Davis-Bessie. These were areas that historically had supported large mussel
beds. In a week of diving, not a single living native mussel was found,
only zebras.

At 09:43 PM 4/16/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Dear All;-
>     I don understand. I ask a perfectly crafted shell question and get
>no answers. Was hapnin'? Did I burden you all when the Flying Pigs
>returned to Cincinnati this year? Did I insult yer interest when Archie
>Toothless (The Giant Squid that lives in my basement) had to be rushed
>to the emergency room for a herniated sucker? I did not! I did not even
>comment when Ross talked about snow in Canada. Everyone knows the whole
>country is listed as a sub-tropical paradise.
>     All what I want to know is how the war goes with the Zebra Mussels.
>     Don't some of the rest of you want to know?
>             Q-Man

G. Thomas Watters, PhD
Curator of Molluscs
Museum of Biological Diversity
Department of Evolution, Ecology & Organismal Biology
The Ohio State University
1315 Kinnear Road
Columbus, OH 43212
v: 614-292-6170