From:
Jenny Scarboro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 1998 19:53:21 -0500
Today I received two interesting references of possible interest to
malacophiles:

Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, UN.  "Multilingual
Dictionary of Fish and Fish Products."  2d ed, 1978, London.  430pp.  1117
entries, in English and French, for every conceivable fish from abalone to
zuwaigani.  Each entry includes species range, subspecies where
appropriate, term usage and synonymy, and cross-references in 15 (!)
languages.  Also included are indices in English, French, German, Danish,
Spanish, Greek, Italian, Icelandic, Japanese, Norwegian, Dutch, Portuguese,
Swedish, Turkish, and Serbo-Croat, as well as an index of scientific names.
 Evidently there is economic utility for a multilungual dictionary of
common names -- although fish rather than mollusca.  However, there are a
number of entries for commercial shellfish.  Altogether a nice reference
for researchers or the far-ranging gourmand of les poissons.

Voss, Gilbert and Nancy.  "Ecological survey of the marine invertibrates of
Bimini, Bahamas, with a consideration of the zoogeographical
relationships."  Bulletin of Marine Science of the Gulf and Caribbean, Vol
10, pp 96-116.  March 1960.  Probably taxonomically dated, but does include
a number of malacofaunal descriptions for the area noted.  Discusses
species of intertidal zone and above, with comparisons to fauna found in
1953 at Soldier Key in the Florida Keys.  The companion article to this is
Voss' "Ecological Survey of Soldier Key, Biscayne Bay, Florida," in Bull.
Mar. Sci. Vol 5, 203-229.

If anyone is interested in the fish/shellfish dictionary, I do have
information to share on getting a copy.  Comtact me off-list for details.

Jenny