From:
Bobbi Cordy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 15:14:50 -0400
Ted Hu wrote:

>      I have a question for the experienced conchologists/malacologists out
>      there.
>
>      How long can I expect my shells to maintain their gem condition(e.g. the
>      color and gloss)?
>
>      If a shell is properly stored: away from direct sunlight, in a cool dry
>      environment, and is not attacked by any funguses, will it look the same
>      after 10 to 20 years as it did when it was first collected?
>
>      If not, why?  And is there anything you can do to help maintain their gem
>      condition for a longer time?
>
>      Ted Hu
>      Montebello, California

Ted:  Some shells fade right away no matter what you do.   Keeping them
out of light and in a dry environment is good.  ALSO coating them with
mineral oil helps protect them. Most cowries seem to keep their shine.
I have some that are 30 years old that still shine....most cowries seem
to fade no matter what you do to them.
--
Jim & Bobbi Cordy
Specializing in Self-Collected