From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 01:14:36 +1300
>I have often wondered if certain specimens of Xenophora have
>individual preferences, genetic or learned, regarding the items they
>use for disguse: it certainly seems that some specimens wind up with
>very similar attachments, while others are less selective, and
>individuals collected at the same time and place often have quite
>different overall appearances.  To elaborate on Linda's introduction
>of this topic, has any research or detailed observation ever been
>done regarding this fascinating (well, at least to me!!) matter?

Hi Ross

I don't know whether it's genetic or individual variation, but some
species eg X. pallidula do appear to vary widely in choice of
preferred attachments. i have heard of specimens which alternate
gastropods and bivalves... seems there's a bit of more than just
instinct going on inside those little heads.
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand