From:
Doris Underwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 1998 21:16:44 -0400
I was quite dismayed when I received the notice of the "Len Hill
Absolute Auction" to see that it is scheduled for July 20.  Obviously,
Mr. Paul is gearing the date and place to attract COA conventioneers.

This is a real insult to COA and having known Len Hill for many years
as a friend, customer and fellow COA member, I feel certain this would
not sit well with Len.  Len wa a gentleman of high integrity, purpose
and very supportive of COA.

On Monday, July 20, the convention will be going into full swing with
the annual meeting, a number of program presentations and an evening
activity.  Not only does this auction conflict with a very important
day at COA, it is also the day before the COA Auction - which is the
major fund raiser for the COA Educational Grants Program.

In Mr. Paul's letter, he states the merchandise will be auctioned by
'lots'.  I assume this means each 'lot' will contain a number of shells,
could be by family, locality or ???  For many collectors and dealers
who already have most of the more common or available species, we don't
want to buy a 'lot' for one or two specimens of interest.

Reading the 'Terms and Conditions of Sale' I am also turned off by the
requirements stated.  If you are the successful bidder for say $100,
you must add a 10% 'Buyer's Premium', 6.5% sales tax, and if you pay
by credit card - 3% surcharge!  Your $100 purchase is now up to $120.45
depending on how the extra charges are computed.

If you wish to even look at what is being offered you must obtain a
'bidder's card' for $100 (refundable or applied to purchase, if any).
And, if you happen to get the bid on $500+ lot, you must pay 'something'
additional immediately.

Also read carefully the section on Conditions of Sale.  Better know your
shells very well.  Anything worth buying should have a correct id slip.
This section also does not mention personal checks are accepted, but in
the accompanying letter he does say they will.  Most people don't like
to carry large amounts of cash and who wants to have a cashier's check
in their pocket (payable to whom?)?  And then, if mail bids are accept-
able, what are you bidding on?  Do you post a $100 bidder's deposit?

Frankly, the whole thing turns me off! as well as everyone I have spoken
to in the last few days.  None of us will attend this auction and I urge
other COA conventioneers to do the same.

Mr. Paul should have an aution at another time in his own city.

Doris Underwood