Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 19:08:51 +0200
Allen

Sorry, I can not answer your question. I am far from a chemist and I do not
have the literature at hand. However there are some easily obtainable works
concerning this problem like for instance:

Baker, J.T., 1974. Tyrian purple: an ancient dye, a modern problem.
Endeavour, 33 (118): 11-17. (easily available in any university library).

The Israel Malacological Society published long ago an article dealing with
Purple dye literature up till 1982 by Spanier, Karmon & Linder: Levantina,
37: 437-447. Maybe I have still a few copies of it somewhere.

My friend Bram van der Bijl (the Netherlands) just paid my attention to a
little but very interesting booklet concerning Purple dye:

Edmonds, 2000. The mystery of Imperial Purple Dye. 41 p., 5 plts., 1 fig.
Softcover.

For those interested in the species which have been used for Purple dye over
the whole world, I refer to the old, but still valid work by:
Jackson, J.W., 1916. The geographical distribution of the shell purple
industry. Manchester Memoirs, 60 (7): 1-29.

Henk K. Mienis