Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:39:39 -0500
Common names;
   Their value is that they are known as such by the local people. If you are looking for (let's say) "heelsplitters", which occur in Kentucky streams, the locals will know them by that name and be able to direct you to a place you might find them. Using the Latin "proper" name will only get you: "yall from Nyork?"
   Art

> From: Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2003/02/10 Mon PM 07:43:18 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Common names
>
> Dear all,
>
> Not to mention that some common names are simply made up. One well-known
> Australian author, who believes in common names and uses them in all his
> books, once described to me how he used the scientific name to create a
> common name if the species didn't already have one (which is in probably
> 99% of the cases). The worst thing is that he kept a straight face and
> appeared to be entirely serious.
>
> Other authors may be forced to make up or give greater prominence to common
> names by their publishers. I think a recently published small guide on
> Australian shells is an excellent example of this.
>
> As a consequence of the publishing of the above book, I have received a
> number of confused E-mails from people who notice that the common names for
> one and the same species vary between books. And I have been forced to
> mention, again and again, the three most important things about common names:
>
> 1. Don't use them
> 2. Don't use them
> 3. Don't use them
>
> I'll get off my soap box now
>
> Patty
>

> Dr. Patty Jansen
>
> Bookshop: http://www.booksofnature.com
> Publishing and info site: http://www.capricornica.com
>
> Books of Nature
> P.O. Box 345
> Lindfield NSW 2070
> Australia
>
> phone/fax: 02 9415 8098 international: +61 2 9415 8098
>
> E-mail: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!