From:
Peggy Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:56:29 -0500
Here's an interesting problem. I'd like to know the answer too!

Peggy Williams

----------
From: [log in to unmask]
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:32:54 EST
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Marine Snail Identification

Hello, I'm hoping you can help me.

I found the "Conch-L ID Assistance Page" website by searching Google.  I am
not a Conch-L member, I do not know what it is really.

I have a micro-reef aquarium, and I bought some polyps (coral) from my local
fish store.  I noticed two very small snails on it when the polyps closed
for
the evening once, one with a light gray shell and one with a darker one, and
did not see them again for a few weeks.  When I did notice them again they
were almost an inch in length.  Now they are breeding and I have 3 distinct
generations, determined from their sizes.  I have written to my reef-keepers
e-group and there has been no help, only one other individual who has seen
them in his tank, but they are not breeding in his setup.

This is their description:
    The body (flesh) is almost an inch, a dull gray color, similar to the
sand in my tank.
    The shell is helmet shaped, light gray with speckles of either light
gray
or a darker gray.  The shell only covers about 1/3 of it's body, with the
remaining 2/3 uncovered areas totally behind the shell.
    There appears to be hair-like appendages around the shell on the body
which at times wrap up around the shell before it moves.
    The antennae are very long, almost an inch, reaching far out beyond the
head, very thin and nimble.
    The eyes are two dark spots that remain close to the shell, they do not
extend.
    As the lighter colored one grew, I noticed that there was an indentation
behind the shell on it's fleshy body, in the shape of an inverted V.  It's
as
if when viewed from the side the slope, from back to shell, is interrupted
just before it reaches the shell, where the body is depressed.  Viewed from
the top, the depression starts at a point and widens as it disappears
underneath the shell.

Some of the spots on the shells are perhaps starting to resemble a spiral
shape.  Without a digital camera, I do not have a way to ask around.  They
may be a dangerous thing to have around, or they may be a very good resource
and breeding them can help me or interested marine biology groups.  When I
found your page, it seemed that your group might be able to help.  I am not
sure, if I have taken your time inadvertently, I apologize in advance.

Peter Kafalenos
314-843-9425

PS -- Would you know of any books I could obtain from my library that could
further assist if you do not know?  Thanks.