From:
Jenny Scarboro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 07:28:38 -0500
Hi there,

Looks like the collected discussion on Conch-L has achieved a peaceful
settlement.  Good news all around; hope the rescheduled auction is a
success, given the magnificent bequests at stake for ANSP and others.

Thanks Dan, Lynn, and everyone for all the input on COA donations.  Lynn,
here is a short list of the families to "tease" you all -- I have a shallow
sampling as you can see:

1 species of Chamidae (Chama macerophylla, Gm. 1791)
2 Arcidae (A. floridana, A. imbricata)
2 Lucinidae (C. orbicularis, L. pennsylvanica)
1 Mactridae (Mactra fragilis, Gm. 1791)
1 Psammobiidae (Asaphis deflorata, L. 1758)
1 Plicatulidae (Plicatula gibbosus, Lam. 1801; fossilized)
4 Pectinidae (P. raveneli, C. sentis, C. benedicti, A. gibbus)
1 Glycymeridae (Glycymeris pectinata, Gm. 1791)
4 Cardiidae (T. egmontianum, T. muricatum, L. laevigatum, L. mortoni)
1 Carditidae (Carditamera floridana, Conrad 1838)
3 Tellinidae (T. lineata, T. alternata, T. listeri)
1 Semelidae (S. purpurascens, Gm. 1791)
2 Solecurtidae (T. divisus, T. plebeius)
3 Veneridae (M. nimbosa, C. latilirata, C. cancellata)
1 Petricolidae (Petricola pholadiformis, Lam. 1818)
1 Pholadidae (Cyrtopleura costata, L. 1758)

The localities are mainly Bahamas and throughout Florida, including Keys,
St. Pete, Peanut Is., scallop dump at Cape Canaveral, Jupiter and Sebastian
Inlets.  Nowhere exotic!

Probably most attractive as a lot for non-Floridians, novices or folks just
getting into Bivalvia, like you said.  If I had a say I would like to see
the proceeds go into the grants program fund.  Won't be able to attend the
convention this year; just hope my little contribution will benefit
research on the living creatures which make shells possible.

Jenny

----------
> From: Lynn Scheu <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Oops/Donation
> Date: Monday, 15 June, 1998 8:39 AM
>
> Hi Jenny,
>
> No, there is no minimum on donations.  A collection of bivalves, even
> though common, might bring interest in the bid auction, if sold as a lot.
> This has been done before, stimulating some frenzied bidding!  Remember
> that some people are just getting started with bivalves and will be quite
> interested.
>
> Also, there is the Silent Auction segment of the Annual Auction. It
handles
> specimens and artifacts of lesser value in a series of table auctions
which
> are a lot of fun and of great interest to the convention attendees, as
well
> as funding a couple of grants every year, all by themselves. (It was at a
> Silent Auction that Walter Sage's Hard Hat was offered for sale, right
Alan