From:
Thomas Clenche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 01:07:29 +0000
Hello all;

I too have a digital camera, an Fuji mx 1200, a 1.3 Mega pixel model.  It
has only digital zoom, and I agree with the other people that Digital Zoom
is useless! It does have a macro setting that allows me to get as close as 5
inches, 12 cm to a subject. I find this great for many shells, and equally
good for flowers.

I have however, been able to use this camera with binoculars for long
distance photography(normal setting), 6x slide magnifiers for smaller
shells(in macro setting), and even my childhood microscope for micro
shells(normal setting). The amazing thing is that I can do all of this by
just holding the camera freehand to the magnifier, no special attachment
devices are necessary. Lighting seems to be the most important factor,
generally, the more light the better. I often try to photograph the small
objects outside on a sunny day, but in the shade.

I am continually posting new photos of shells, shell parts, other sea life
and other photographic subjects at my webshots site:

http://community.webshots.com/user/tclenche
any feedback is appreciated

Thank you all for your excellent postings on all shell topics, This list is
a great way for an amateur like me to learn more about shells, although i
live in a remote area with little contact with other shell collectors

Thomas Clenche
Petley, Random Island, Newfoundland.