From:
Karen Vander Ven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 May 2003 09:35:32 -0400
Hello, All.

This is in response to Marcus' question about shells in the work
of Ian Fleming of James Bond fame.

There is (was) a book of Ian Fleming short stories way back in
the 60s. I used to read them in the basement waiting for the washing
machine to fill up.  One  of them ( I don't remember the title) featured
an  unsavory character named "Milt"  who was on a Pacific cruise in
his onw boat, taking along a lovely young thing ( the usual
Fleming plot line).  He called this person "Treasure" or "Treas"
(not always in a friendly way when she spoke of more of his covert
activities than he wished ).  The  excursion had some intent to gather
shells as well and "Milt" talked  about their beauty and referred to 'some
of ' those geographicus and mappa' - maybe 'isabella' - cones and cowries.

Karen