From:
Timothy Blackwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 19:28:15 -0700
Hello everyone,

    My name is Tim Blackwood and I am a graduate student in biology at Bemidji State University,
located in northwestern Minnesota.  I've been collecting shells for around 20 years and have
recently turned my attention to the Strombidae.  Now for my question.  A species from the Cape
Verde Islands is being sold as Strombus latus portgentilensis.  The pictures I've seen show a
strong resemblance to regular Strombus latus.  What feature(s) should I look for to determine
which species is really being offered?  I'd be happy with either, personally, as my collection
lacks any form of S. latus.  Just trying to become better informed.  Any assistance you can
provide will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance. :)

Best wishes and happy shelling,
Tim

=====
Timothy J. Blackwood