From:
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2003 13:32:20 -0600
Tim,

Well, I waited to let some of the stromb experts hit your question but it
appears they are all out for lunch.  So, from an amateur long interested in
strombs, here is one opinion.  I personally believe the various forms of S.
latus are just that, forms.  But I guess a good argument can be made for
subspecies status.  According to Poppe and Groh (1999), Strombus latus
portgentilensis is restricted to Port Gentil (thus the name), Gabon, Africa
and is identified by the smooth surface and high shoulder spines.  I say all
this without a specimen in hand as I only have the normal S. latus.  This is
a nice heavy stromb and well worth adding to your collection.  Good luck,

Tom Eichhorst