From:
lindawbush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jul 2003 09:47:02 -0400
Hello, sleepy CONCH-L!

(You stayed up late for the 4th festivities.)  In addition
to extinctions due to meteorite impact, I saw an excellent
program on mass extinction in North America due to the
explosion of a "super volcano."  I do not remember where
in geological time this occured.

The most interesting thing is that satellite examination
of the Yellowstone area shows that the whole park is
underlaid by magma, and that this was a "super volcano"
that still contains the potential for an eruption that
would make the Mount St. Helens eruption look like a
sparkler compared to the fireworks most of us witnessed
last night.

Unfortunately, the report contained details on the
extinction of large vertebrates, and nohing on
invertebrates (which might have been fresh water and land
forms).

Very interesting information at the least.

Cheers,
Linda