From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 19:48:36 -0700
John et al,
        If you turn the Lambis chiragra with the three major "fingers" on
the top and the stromboid notch to the bottom, and the dorsum out, my
Japanese wife says "It sort of looks like the Japanese Kanji/Chinese
character for fire... if you close one eye."  If the Chinese use this shell
as a talisman, she's not quite sure. It sure sounds like an interesting use
for a shell.
Dan

>I heard that Lambis chiragra is used in China as a good luck symbol, to
>protect homes from fire. The shape of the mature shell is apparently
>similar to the
>Chinese character for water / fire prevention. The shell is mounted over the
>front door of the house as protection from the spirit of fire.
>
>Is this true? What orientation is the shell mounted in? It is to say, spire
>up, down, to a side? Any other information? Resources?
>
>John Timmerman
>
><HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF"
>FACE="Arial" LANG="0">I heard that <B><I>Lambis chiragra</B></I> is used
>in China as a good luck symbol, to protect homes from fire. The shape of
>the mature shell is apparently similar to the Chinese character for water
>/ fire prevention. The shell is mounted over the front door of the house
>as protection from the spirit of fire. <BR>
><BR>
>Is this true? What orientation is the shell mounted in? It is to say,
>spire up, down, to a side? Any other information?
>Resources?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>
><BR>
>John Timmerman</FONT></HTML>

Dan, Hiromi & Kuma Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.