From:
Guido Poppe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:20:41 +0800
Dear All,

Paul Bartsch, 1917
The Philippine Land Shells of the genus Amphidromus. Contributions to the
Biology of the Philippine Archipelago and adjacent regions. Smithsonian
Inst. Bull. 100, Vol. I, part I.

We will put the plates and their legend on our homepage soon as it is out of
publication and people need it.

A lot of information in Bartsch but some things are strange. As for the
boholensis he gives a different species on the single coloured plate as on
the black and white plates.

Last weekend I went to Bohol in order to discover the boholensis, but
Sevilla is a very dangerous place now for white people (this is the locality
Bartsch mentions). So, we were jungle-walking for snails for two days. Near
Bilar I found 3 dead, almost fossil specimen. So, now I'm busy with people
from Sevilla, but it will take time before we see the first one I guess.
Fortunately we found 4 different Cyclophorus and the Helicostyla
camelopardalis boholensis. Only one live collected of the latter, but we
could photograph it on its tree. Dead ones in all localities done over a
large area.
Actually collecting land snails, especially the Helicostyla is indeed a lot
of traveling, losing many kgs in the jungles and little result. But it is so
rewarding when one finds something. And then, these places are plenty of
other animals, never bored inside the green.

http://www.conchology.be
15,748 pictures of shells in 132 families.
5000 conchological stamps.
800 telecards.
15000 references to literature.