From:
David Costa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:22:00 -0500
Hello Fabio,

Thank you for your notice.

I understand the tremendous impact involved in capturing and exporting live
animals to other parts of the world: Wild life trade threatens indigenous
communities in the wild, and facilitats the risk of foreign species beeing
accidently introduced into habitats, were there presence might reveal
desasterous -

As to Biopiracy, I believe that this case could only apply in the wrong
context: The risk of threatenig a species, if collected live, is real, but
in such a reduced demand, and when performed by responsible shell
collectors is unlike. And in this matter, Biopiracy could apply to shell
collecting aswell.

Regarding the accidental introduction of a species into foreign habitats, I
believe this to be an almost utopic possibility with live Cypraeidae. Yet,
millions of birds, reptiles and fish with true possibilities of beeing
accidently introduced are legally flying world-wide onto the hands of
ignorant pet stores owners.

It is my belief, that because "nations can demand a share of profit from
products discovered through biopiracy" the true goal of the laws, could
have a capitalistic rather than an ethical poit of view.

But yes, it is illegal, and I wouldnt be surprised if obstacles came in the
way.

All the best,

Regards,
David