From:
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 07:38:13 -0700
Actually, when African cichlids hybridize in an aquarium they also produce
muddy, poorly colored offspring.  It is more a result of gene mixing than a
response of any environmental condition.  Ten different but closely related
species pairs will breed true, even if all are kept in the same tank.  But
if a male dies, leaving a female without a mate, she will probably breed
with another species and the young will be "grey" rather than the brilliant
blue of the female or gold of the male (or whatever colors).  This does not
happen when a female dies as the lonely male can seldom outcompete the
"proper" species male.  His signals are not as attractive and are only
accepted when there is no male present offering the proper signals.  I have
kept African cichlids since they first hit the aquarium trade in the late
1960s and I have seen this occur many times.

These fish have separated into different species much more recently than the
Lambis we have been talking about.  But the same processes may be at work as
the limited range of a Lambis female may end up in her acceptance of
another, closely related, species as a mate if she is unable to find a
"proper" mate.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA