Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 06:47:44 +0200
DEar RUss
I did not say that I know the difference between M. maculifera maculifera
and M. maculifera scindata. I have Lorenz's book 2002 and a description of
the above taxon does not contain a section DIAGNOSIS. So I can not say
whether the difference between these populations is of a subspecific rank or
it is not. I study variability of cowry populations for years but M.
maculifera is not now on my desk, I will check intraspecific variation in
this species later.
I do recognize subspecies in cowries but this is a rather confusing subject
which demands a lot of work regarding each species.

What is your approach to this subject, what do you collect?
Best regards
Ed