Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:45:07 +0200
As I know, only some strombus ars used in religious ceremonies in
Caribbean area, such as santeria or vodoo, they usually collect little
strombus such as alatus/ pugilis.

On the other hand, there are no strombus living in the indo pacific area
wich due to their reduced size can be used for any ceremony. I agree
with Andrew´s opinion, because the only news I have about using shells
in India is in Brahmanic religion and it´s the Turbinella pyrum,
specially the sinistral specimens wich are considered in popular
traditions as a symbol of Vishnu, these "Chanks "are sougth after for
that reason. The Laxmi shell may be the same specias as T. pyrum.

Some of these turbinellas are exported from India to Europe covered by
brass and ornamented with some gems.

Well I hope it helps

Ignacio L Sanchez
Madrid