From:
Cristian Ruiz Altaba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 09:36:12 +0200
Dear colleagues,

Species, most contemporary biologists would argue, are real entities.
 These are lineages formed by intertwinning ancestor-descendant
relationships, so they all consitute a single evolutionay unit that changes
through time.  We can see a species as a rope made of numerous fibers,
which at some points fuse and at others break apart, but making a firm
wire.

Such a rope can, of course, fray apart.  This happens, for example, when
something like the isthmus of Panama appears in between.  The question,
obviously, is when will the two resulting threads might become distinct
enough as to prevent interbreeding when someone builds a transoceanic
canal.  The answer, alas, is far from evident.

Sometimes telling species apart is easy, because of characteristic color or
sculpture patterns.  Often, malacologists need much experience to confront
a given family, because the traits are subtle, or variable, or even
overlapping.  We all know how futile it can be to follow an identification
key to shells, just because so much variation and traits ought to be taken
into account.  However, nobody ever said that species should be easy to
tell apart!

In taxonomic practice, all available evidence must be taken into account.
 And the more, the better --that is why we struggle with molecular
genetics, statistics, and so on.  The bottomline, I believe, is pretty much
what Mayr said: two populations living together in the very same spot and
habitat, but showing no intermediates or other signs of interbreeding.  A
situation like this one is what provides a yardstick for evaluating (i.e.,
making a scientific hypothesis) the rank (species vs. subspecies vs.
nothing) of related populations that are not living in that same spot.

For example, I had to wrestle with Moroccan melanopsids, a puzzle for
everyone.  However, luck stroke me when I found two sympatric populations,
differing in rather subtle shell features, but having small but clear-cut
genetic differences.  And no single hybrid around.  This was the yardstick
to disentangle the rather complex pattern of melanopsid evolution in the
rivers of North-west Africa.

In my own opinion, then, species are out there, and we keep trying to know
and celebrate the diversity of life.  Scientific research must be open, so
it is unavoidable, and desirable as well, that different experts will have
contrasting hypotheses that need to be tested by reality.  There will
always be difficult groups to look at, and that is what makes malacology
most interesting: you are doing hard science from the very onset, you can
always learn more, yet you are never enough of an expert.  Or so I feel.

Very best wishes,

Cristian R. Altaba