From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:10:26 -0500
Henk, Peter, Peggy, Avril,

Neritina (Vitta) usnea is abundant in Mobile Bay (Alabama) and can tolerate
low salinity. On natural marshy shorelines, which are becoming increasingly
limited, the dead shells form windrows; the shells have a delightfully broad
variation of color pattern but the pattern shown in Avril's photo is the
most common. As to barnacles, I have seen some growing at the head of the
bay in water reported to have only about 3 parts per thousand salinity
(about 1/10 that of seawater).

A few estuarine species can live in freshwater without difficulty as adults
but cannot maintain populations there because their reproduction requires at
least brackish salinity. In the same area, these include the bay clam Rangia
cuneata, and I would guess probably also the Carolina marsh clam, Polymesoda
caroliniana. None of these are known to live in ordinary seawater. The
common oyster Crassostrea virginica has just the opposite preference: It
normally thrives in brackish water, but when predators are excluded, it does
even better in fully marine salinity.

Andrew K. Rindsberg
Geological Survey of Alabama