From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 23:47:15 +1200
>With the help of Olivier I was able to see the pictures of your
>"Capulid". It has nothing to do with Capulidae. In my opinion it is
>a species of Thyca, probably Thyca crystallina, or something related.
>Where did you collect it and where there more specimens?
>If it is really Thyca, then this might be another exotic migrant in
>the Mediterranean Sea.
>Best regards,
>
>Henk K. Mienis

That's what I was thinking also. But Thyca is a eulimid and doesn't
live on other shells, but lives attached to the undersides of
starfish arms, particularly Linckia spp.

>I have had a quick look at the file labelled capulidae. I agree with Henk,
>that it is not a Capulidae, but I think however that it may be a juvenile
>species of Amathina, Pyramidellidae? Thyca from memory has taller ribs and
>is found on the blue five armed starfish of the Indo-pacific whose name
>alludes me at the  moment.
>
>Hope this helps a bit.
>
>Stephanie

Amathina (Pyramidelloidea: Amathinidae) has only 3 wide-spaced spiral
cords, and they are smooth.

I can't find my Warén paper on Thyca, but I'm pretty sure this is
what this shell is. Did the owner actually see it attached to a
shell? If so, was it glued on and does the margin fit the surface
EXACTLY? (as it would if it were a capulid or hipponicid... and if
the latter, there would also be a shelly plate secreted by the foot).

Also Thyca, as with many eulimids, is vitreous and
transparent/translucent; capulids, hipponicids & Amatyhina are
porcellanous and opaque.

--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin