From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:38:06 +1200
>Now don't yell at me for no image, unless you want to supply me with
>a digital camera.  I have a small - 58 mm., dark brown, fat and
>squat Hexaplex specimen.  Unfortunately, this is one of those shells
>you fall heir to when you are a beginning collector, but nobody
>gives you the data (thinking that you'll be content to just "have" a
>shell).  So...I don't know where it's from.
>It is unremarkable, a small dark brown shell, with a lighter shade
>at the varices, and just a "fat, squat shell."

How many varices per whorl? (include any varix on the penultimate
whorl which is past the lip, even if just barely so). Long or short
canal? Spine lengths? Even a blurry scanner image will help.

>Does anybody have any suggestions?  Yes, I have a scanner, but the
>darn thing doesn't have any depth of field, so that is out.

I recently bought a new LCD Canon LiDE30 scanner... wonderful
bus-powered tiny item... specifically for imaging shells. I tried it
on a shell for the first time yesterday, and was horrified to find
that it has ZERO depth-of-focus, so is useless. So I'll have to
reattach my old SCSI ScanMaker E6 to my old Mac 6116... it takes very
well-focused images, though it's restricted to about 400dpi, so can't
be used for micros.

>P.S.  My prayers have been with you in the path of any or all of the
>hurricanes.

I don't pray, but my thoughts are similar, and I also hope that
nobody lost or had damaged a shell-collection... and as long as folk
live at sealevel near the coast in areas frequented by hurricanes (or
in areas populated by tornadoes), these disasters will continue to
happen... frequently.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin