From:
Patrice Bail <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:10:32 +0200
le 11/10/04 6:02, J.F.A. à [log in to unmask] a écrit :

> Hello all:
>
> I have some questions about Miomelon and related Volutid species, maybe
> somebody can help me:
>
> Concerning Miomelon philippiana Dall from 1200+ m depth off Chile, which are
> the features shown in a mature specimen?, I read that Dall described that
> species on a juvenile (36 mm) shell. I have seen many times species like
> Miomelon alarconi labeled as ³philippiana² even with the alarconi
> characteristics (darker colour, more pronounced ribs and bigger size), but
> never a real Miomelon philippiana as the Dall holotype.
>
> I have obtained specimens of Miomelon in sizes from about 47 till 81 mm from
> relatively deep water (250-520 m depth), I think they all are alarconi but I
> have some doubts with the big specimens as some of them are elongate, with no
> ribs at all and lighter in colour, also I have specimens wider and heavier
> with a less high spire and dark brown colour which agrees with the original
> description of Stuardo y Valdovinos.
>
> Then, does anybody knows a easy way to difference between a Miomelon
> philippiana and alarconi? I have a specimen with the animal inside, but
> unfortunately dried. May it serve for identification purposes?
>
> Well, thanks in advance,
>

> Juan Francisco.

> eMail=enigmaMail -> en service från enigma.se

> click leave the list.
They are very different. Miomelon philippiana is a light shell of 35-45 mm
long, with a small pointed protoconch; surface white covered with a thick
chalky deposit, sculpured by numerous close weak spiral structure, hardly
visible to the naked eyes (unless after 45 old!). Aperture white with 2
small columellar plaits. It is a very deep water species, trawled below 1000
m deep. So it is rare in private collection.

--
 Patrice Bail
2 Square la Fontaine 75016 Paris