From:
Yamaguchi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:27:22 +0900
Dear All,

Kay pointed out the same sort of question that I have been
wondering for some time.

Cowry shells are attacked by certain small octopuses in aquarium
and victimized shells show very small (less than 0.5 mm dia.)
pinholes, often more than one. As cowry shells are not protected
by operculum, I wonder why drilling is necessary. One clue might
be that the area where pinholes are made tended to be close to
the tail end of the soft body when it retreat deep inside. Perhaps,
the prey might first be paralyzed by injection of something before
it would be extracted out of the shell.

Masashi Yamaguchi
Faculty of Science, University of the Ryukyus
Okinawa, Japan