From:
Tom Rice <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 22:47:15 +0700
Having finally got signed up again to Conch-L my first posting has to do with
this mornings tidal wave(s) that struck many areas of the Indian Ocean. The
westside beaches on Phuket (where most of the beachside tourist are located)
was hardest hit here as they are directly in the path from Sumatra. Hotels
along that side have been evacuated. Here in Rawai Beach, on the southeast
side, we had water into the yard and some small debris, the street beteen my
home and the beach is littered with tires, garbage, sand and upturned
motorbikes left along the curb this morning by fishermen. The many longtail
boats that usually line the shore here have been either sunk or thrown high on
the beach. The hardest hit area here is th sea gypsy village. We have not
been able to travel around to see much as yet, the roads were blocked off
quickly by local police. I took some photos which we will post soon on our web
site: www.ofseaandshore.com then go to "News" page.

I had intended my first posting to be sort of a re-introduction, but that wil wait
as I felt this news came first.

There was no damage to any of the specimen shell shops here in the Rawai
area and the Phuket Seashell Museum was undamaged as it sits well away
from the beach and at a higher elevation. Several seaside souvenir/shellcraft
shops were extensively damaged.

Regards to all.

Tom Rice
Rawai Beach, Thailand