From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:43:27 -0500
Art and Olivier,

Hybrids have no status under the International Code of Zoological
Nomenclature (http://www.iczn.org/iczn/index.jsp), but the International
Code of Botanical Nomenclature does accommodate them. Here are the relevant
parts of the ICZN:

Article 17. Names found to denote more than one taxon, or taxa of hybrid
origin, or based on parts or stages of animals or on unusual specimens. The
availability of a name is not affected even if

17.1. it is found that the original description or name-bearing type
specimen(s) relates to more than one taxon, or to parts of animals belonging
to more than one taxon; or

17.2. it is applied to a taxon known, or later found, to be of hybrid origin
(see also Article 23.8); or

17.3. it is based on only part of an animal, or one sex, or one stage in the
life cycle, or one of several dissimilar generations, or one morph or caste
of a polymorphic species, or a parthenogenetic form, or a specimen which is
an unusual example of the taxon (for exclusions see Articles 1.3 and 45.6).

23.8. Application to species-group names established on hybrids. A
species-group name established for an animal later found to be a hybrid
[Art. 17] must not be used as the valid name for either of the parental
species, even if it is older than all other available names for them. Such a
name may enter into homonymy. For names based on taxa which are of hybrid
origin see Article 17.2.

What all of this says is, "Don't give animal hybrids a new species name. If
one is named accidentally, then stop using the name and don't use the same
spelling for anything else in the future. But if an author takes a name
based on a nonhybrid type and applies it to a hybrid, the name is still
valid for the original, nonhybrid species."

The rules for plants are quite different, but someone else will have to
explain them.

(Aside to Art: Hope you're doing well in the city of Sus alatus. If you have
a hankering for sauerbraten, I highly recommend Ron's Roost in the Western
Hills; they still ferment their beef the old-fashioned way.)

All the best,
Andy

Andrew K. Rindsberg