From:
Andrew Dickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 21:13:36 -0400
Dear members of Conch-L,

  I consider myself knowledgeable of the conchological charactarisitics
of the genus Scaphella.  I must admit that I am confused over a
situation about Scaphella gouldiana.  I am certain there are two
different species of Scaphella which both have been identified as this
species.  One is a large oarnge stipped shell.  The other is a smaller
unicolored shell which will either be white of yellowish. These shells
are both illustrated in the book "The Living Volutes".  The difference
between them is mainly in the columellar plicae.
  The photograph of the holotype on the "Johnsonia" Volume 2, No. 22 is
not a great picture.  I looks like the unicolored one but various
reasons led me to believe that it was a banded shell.
  I have been curious for a while and I hope someone can shed some light
on this subject.

Andrew Dickson