From:
Kurt Auffenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 09:44:06 -0400
Dear Paul,
You should contact John Slapcinsky at slapcin@flmnh.ufl.edu......he's
been collecting in New Guinea for the last few years.

Here are my two cents.....

Cochlostyla (s.l.) does not occur in New Guinea (Cochlostyla is not used
anymore,.....should be Helicostyla or Calocochlia, or other related
genera....see Abbott (1989...Compendium).  There is a "Cochlostyla"
pyrostoma (Ferussac, 1821) recorded from Halmahera and the Moluccas (but
I'm doubtful about these localites OR generic assignment).

Yours appears to be an altered Calocochlia festiva (Donovan, 1825) from
northern Luzon.  This thing may be the same as was bouncing around
Conch-L and the internet as a bright yellow shell a few years ago.....
Personally, calling the yellow shell (and your red one) festiva leaves
me with a bad taste.......but for now, that's the best we can do.....

Kurt

Monfils, Paul wrote:

>The past few months someone has repeatedly posted on Ebay specimens of a
>large colorful land snail identified as Cochlostyla pyriformis, from New
>Guinea. I purchased a few of them, just because the thing is gorgeous.
>However, I have been unable to verify that name.  Is this a valid name?  If
>so, what is the author and date?  If not, what is the name of the 45 mm
>shell pictured here:
>
>http://members.cox.net/paulcyp/Cochlostyla.jpg
>
>Thanks.
>Paul M.

>[log in to unmask] - a forum for informal discussions on molluscs
>To leave this list, click on the following web link:
>http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=conch-l&A=1
>Type your email address and name in the appropriate box and
>click leave the list.

Mr. Kurt Auffenberg
Operations Coordinator
Florida Museum of Natural History