Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 18:38:38 +0000
>Michael Reagin wrote:
>>
>>      Hi all
>>
>>      I will be attending a scientific meeting in Brest, France in
>>      September.  Are there any easy beach or bay collecting sites nearby
>>      that I can pass the time?  I will be spending one day on Quessant
>>      Island so that is also a possibility.
>>
>>      I will also be spending a few days afterwards in Paris.  The Paris
>>      Basin is famous for it's Eocene fossil deposits.  Is there anyone
>>      online who knows where some of these sites are located?
>>
>>      Thanks in advance for any info.
>>
>>      Michael Reagin
>No  problem,shelling is free in Brittany except in cultivated oyster and
>mussel beds. "Rade de Brest" is not the better place but you can find
>many things outside this place .
>It is not easy within the few days you expect to spend in Paris to go in
>a fossil spots:Either it is a working quarry or it is a private area and
>to get a permit takes several days.
>When you are in Paris,ask for Daniel GRATECAP, tel: 0169070614.He has
>the best knowledge of that problem ...and  never tired for digging!
>Pat Bail.

All this is right. The fossil beds are by far the most interesting place to
go, because the French make their Champagne there. The roots of the plants
take their juice right in the shells of Rimella, Ancilla, Volutolithes and
thousands of other fossils. That's why Champagne tastes so good. Go to
Hautvillers and Damery, ask the people and  look around near the fields:
between living Helix pomatia you will find a lot of malacological
treasures. After this big effort, you try all the big Moet Chandon, etc..
houses for a visit and you get a glass for free. Nice days there in
September. The Marne valley has all its colours.
Guido

Starting or advanced conchologist:
please visit  http://www.club.innet.be/~year0078
and enjoy the world of shells. You are welcome.