From:
Andy Rindsberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:19:53 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:
> An article in todays paper notes that A sizeable percent of Elkhorn Coral
has died off due to the warming of the waters in the Caribbean. 40% in some
areas.
>     The article notes that the reefs are vital for fish, lobsters and
> "other sea life". I assume that "other sea life" includes the mollusca.
Since the source of the warming is solar radiation, there isn't much "we"
can do about it. But perhaps we sho
uld be monitoring the effects. Any thoughts, ideas?
>       Art

Negative population growth? Averting one's eyes and maintaining a
Buddha-like calm? Writing an angry note to the Times? Hakuna matata? Signing
the Kyoto accord? Some days it's hard to decide.

One measure that works better than most is to declare no-fishing zones in
some of the most biotically diverse areas, which at least reduces the
environmental stress. This kind of thing can't happen unless people start
talking about it.

Andrew K. Rindsberg