From:
Rick Harbo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2006 08:11:51 -0700
Dick...Have you run across Cuming labels for west coast species? Many of the
shells from Neah Bay, WA (1859-1866),  presented by J. G. Swan to the
Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. were sent to England. In
accordance with an agreement, the first available duplicates were forwarded
to the British Museum or to Mr. Cuming's collection (Carpenter,1864-65).
Labels were made for the Smithsonian Institute, "Named by Hugh Cuming,Esq.
for the Smithsonian Institute, Washington,D.C.".

Rick Harbo

Nanaimo, B.C.