From:
Kevin Czaja <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:09:09 -0400
Hey Ellen,
   well I have a few suggestions for you.  The best place I know of to
collect in Rhode Island is Easton/Atlantic Beach in Newport.  Sometimes
this is just referred to as Newport Beach (and I've seen one map call it
1st Beach).  At any rate, for number of species it is unmatched (and in
fact rates as one of the best in New England period).  My friend Brain
Cassie and I have compiled a list of almost 100 species from this one
beach.  Now the bad news is most are smaller species.  Bring home some
drift to dry and carefully sort through and you will be amazed.  For the
find on the beach with the naked eye side, the beach still has some fun
(and rare in New England) stuff such as Greenish Jackknife Clams, Cross-
hatched Lucines, Dekay's Dwarf Tellins as well as brilliant pink Northern
Dwarf Tellins, and standard New England fair such as Atlantic Razor Clams,
Shark Eye and Northern Moon Shells, WaChanneled and Knobbed whelks