Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:22:16 -0400
Thank you Ms Sarah (by the way I putting your fossil message in the mollusk
in the "how to" corner.)
I'm not sure how to respond to the joke going around in the class but the
"big Crack" as it is not a joke , this event is on the big island and it the
youngest of the island chain. almost all the islands in this chain were as
large in land mass as the big island but thru geological events as this
crack the islands lose big chunks that slide off into the deep abyss
surrounding these islands. By the way the question is not "if" this will
happen but "when". There is evidence on the shoreline near Seattle that
these large tsunami's have struck that coast several times in the past. One
geologist estimated that a wave that struck the pacific northwest some 12k
yr. back was 1,000 ft tall and struck the shore so hard as to cause the rock
substrate to explode as the large wave crashed down . A wave of 200ft plus
in the pacific basin could easily take out Tokyo at 50 million and Sidney at
4.5 million plus over 40 million in the combined islands and other shore
living inhabitants. I write this knowing that where we live here on the
beach we would not stand a chance as there is really no tsunami warning
system in effect and even if there was the outcome would not change as the
only way to escape would be to seek Sanctuary in the mountains and for us
it's more then 200 miles away. An event of 500 ft plus would sweep across
Florida from coast to coast, on the mid-Atlantic seaboard it would sweep the
land clean to the Appallation mountains, New York , DC, Boston, it doesn't
matter.....Colorado would probably become our new capital. Mark & Peta
Bethke
Hollywood, Florida