From:
MR ART WEIL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 08:34:23 -0500
Here's the idea! A good many of us collect other things besides
shells. I have a good many club pins which I display in Riker Mounts.
I also have similar pins representing Railroad Heralds. (When I was a
kid, I had the best collection of olive pits on the block). I think
it might be welcome for a dealer to begin issuing a Shell-Of-The-
Month pin.
     A dealer--- because dealers have pretty good mailing lists; and
also because they can use the list of subscribers to SOTM to further
their own business.
    I think the SOTM can be done much like the club pins. Only have
the identity of the pin run around the edge. Beautiful shells only.
Maybe gloria-maris first. Maybe try to do the hundred best looking
shells chosen from a list of collector nominees---maybe a poll or
contest.
    True, I don't know much about having the pins made. But all the
clubs seem to have them, and they sell them for about $5.00---
including tax. Perhaps one could start by issuing three at a time.
How many subscribers would be needed to interest dealer A or dealer B?
 Would 100 do it? Including me---only 99 more are needed.
      Art