From:
Paul Drez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 08:57:16 -0700
At 09:55 AM 1/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>To all Conch-L list members,
>
>Sorry if I missed it if it was previously posted, but could anyone
>provide the titles of the Zeigler & Petuch publications.  Any suggestions
>as to where they may also be available would also be appreciated.
>
>R. Dollmann

Here we go:

"Olive Shells of the World", by Rowland F. Zeigler and Humbert C Porreca,
1969.  My 1969 edition was published by Rochester Polychrome Press,
Rochester NY.  I think that the original edition was printed many more
times (by who I am not sure), as I have seen copies occasionally available
on dealer lists even up until last year.  Also, as second-hand book it is
not too uncommon on lists.  See the "Vita Marina and Spirula" web page for
some good second-hand book dealers.

"Atlas of the Living Olive Shells of the World", by Edward J Petuch and
Dennis M Sargent, 1986.  It was published by The Coastal Education &
Research Foundation (CERF), Inc in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  I think that
the CERF moved to Charlottesville, Virginia later on since some of Petuch's
later books indicate the new address.  I think that it is out of print,
since I haven't seen any advertised lately.  Might check with the publisher
and the second-hand book dealers.

There is a third rarer book on Olives, "Beitrage zur Kenntnis der Olividae"
(in English), published by Dietmar Greifeneder in 1981 by the Acta
Conchyliorum Club Conchylia in 1981, with sections by other authors on
faunas of Indonesia (Wittig-Skinner), Dar es Salaam (Widmer) and Costa Rica
and Aruba (Hemmen).  I suspect that not many copies were ever issued and
has been long out of print.  It is a neat little book with a lot of useful
information on general characteristics of the family Olividae, important
literature, anatomy and radula, prey and predators, reproduction and
ecology, ethology (Behavior), genetics and evolution, zoogeography and
systematics.  It does not treat worldwide Olivas, just the faunas from the
three areas above.  It is a neat book, the plates are excellent photographs
that are pasted in the pages!  I haven't seen a copy for sale by anyone for
many years.  Dietmar has teamed up with Bernard Tursch and others since
1985 on many articles on trying to understand which physical
characteristics are important and quantifiable for separation of species of
Olividae, mainly in the journal Apex. They are doing some great work.

Paul Drez