From:
Tom Duda <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 11:04:14 -0500
Greetings,

I am new to this list and would like to first give an introduction. I am a
graduate student up here in Cambridge (used to be at the Univ. of Hawai'i,
but that's a long story) working on the phylogeny of Conus using DNA
characters. Most of the work I have completed so far is just a preliminary
examination of the evolutionary relationships of cone snails in order to
address such questions as the evolution of the different feeding types and
of different life histories (planktonic vs. nonplanktonic modes of
development). The group is obviously too large to allow for a complete
analysis of all species (I have already hit the wall at 75 species) and
therefore I will not really be addressing in too much detail the
systematics of the groups. BTW, if anyone is actively collecting cones, I
am always on the look for new species (I have probably have most of the
common ones from the Indo-Pacific) -- all I need is a small slice from the
foot in 70% ethanol.

On to the book -- I have always had to borrow Walls' cone snail book for
IDs etc (from Alison Kay in Hawai'i from the library here). Does anyone
know of a source for this book? Thanks for any info...

Sincerely,
Tom

T.F. Duda, Jr.
Biological Laboratories, Box #48