From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 15:34:43 -0400
Dear Shellers and to all those interested in shell conservation:

I had not heard of the spill on the Clinch River, but had occasion to
check out mussel areas in the upper Clinch River in Tennessee
(downstream of the spill) on Sept 5 and 6th in route to a freshwater
mussel symposium in Missouri the following week.  Fortunately, I did not
note any die off of aquatic life.  Several live spp. of mussels were
observed, but not wanting to disturb any living spp. I did not annotate
the number or concentration of living spp.

The Clinch, unfortunately, has suffered notable chemical spills in the
past, and, just as fortunately, survivied, with close to the diversity
of shells Ortmann found in the teens. But it is obvious that a fauna or
river system can suffer only so many insults without permanent damage.

The interest of (mostly) amateur malacologists such as yourselves on
Conch-l is heartening to this old sheller that there is a cadre of
people out there who may never hold a freshwater naiad in their hand but
nonetheless are concerned about their continued survival.  Also
heartening is the group of younger freshwater researchers such as Dr.
Watters and Kevin Cummings who are working on this scientifically
fascinating group of shells.

I attended a two day seminar on the naiades of the Meramec River in
Missouri last week and was so reassured to see the academics (such as
Drs. Barnhart and Liu of S.W. Missouri State) working along side those
very  talented "amateur" (in name only) molluscan workers such as Karen
Couch and others to educate parks and recreation and conservation agents
on their native shell fauna.  Such information exchange gives us hope.

Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, FL